Friday, February 17, 2006

Demolition of Pekeliling Flats



Two More Blocks of Flats under Demolition

WORK to demolish two blocks of the 17-storey Pekeliling Flats on the Lebuhraya Mahameru-bound Jalan Tun Razak are expected to be completed by April.

Once the two high-rises, Blocks A101 and B91, have been knocked down, work will begin on the first phase of an urban renewal project called Tamansari.

The Tamansari project will be undertaken by Government-appointed developer ASIE Sdn Bhd.

Since the demolition exercise started on Dec 27 last year, Blocks H99 and J97, consisting of four-storey shophouses, had been torn down by crawler-mounted excavators.

Another seven blocks on the Jalan Pahang-bound side of the road will be demolished at a later stage. C. Sivakumar, the safety and health officer of Chang Cherng Trading which has been contracted by ASIE to undertake the demolition project, said his company was complying with safety regulations such as in the use of scaffolds, safety nets and other safety measures and methodologies constituted in the Factories and Machinery Act 1974 and Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994.

“We achieved zero-occupational accident, zero-poisoning and zero-disease outbreak at our site throughout January,” he said during a media briefing at the site office in Jalan Pekeliling Lama.

Media members were taken on a tour of the site where a crawler-mounted excavator was hoisted to the top of the 17-storey Block B91.

There, several excavators will break the pre-fabricated structures into small concrete pieces before disposing of them through the flat's air wells used as chutes to transfer debris from the top to the ground level. As excavators work on the top of the building, debris will be hauled away through the openings of the chutes. This method will be used to demolish Levels 6 to 17 while long-arm cranes with breaker jaws will break down the remaining structures from the sixth floor onwards. Sivakumar said 37 workers had been engaged for the job.

"Although we’ve been given April 15 as deadline to finish the demolition, we have requested for an extension as we want to carry out the project slowly to reduce the environmental impact on surrounding areas,” he said. Residents of Blocks A, B, D, H, J, and L have been relocated to other newer public flats, mainly Desa Rejang PPR in Setapak Jaya, leaving only Blocks C, E, F , G and K occupied.

One of Kuala Lumpur’s earliest public housing projects, the Pekeliling Flats – also known as Tunku Abdul Rahman public flats – were built in 1967. There were 11 residential blocks comprising 2,969 units.

No comments: